Candlelight Cottage, Olinda VIC
by Peta Rolls
Built around 1890, this sweet old cottage was the home of Mr Bill and Mrs Diana Causier. The block was 10 acres, incorporating the area from Olinda Creek through to Falls Road.
According to a local historian, “stories could be written about old Bill… suffice to say, he looked like George Bernard Shaw and behaved quite differently. Trespassing children especially had reason to fear him chasing them off his land, but with all his faults, he kept a neat house and a very pretty garden even after the death of his wife in 1910.”
Candlelight (originally called Uralla) was sold by Bill Causier to Mary Card, the renowned crochet pattern designer who lived nearby. Mary lived in the cottage with her sister Harriet, and ended her days there in October 1940.
The house has been home to many people over the years, some of whom have come, aged 80s-90s to share their childhood stories of the magical gardens, the layout of the house and who slept where! It seems to have been a happy home and one which is even now providing comfort and peace as a B&B.
Candlelight Cottage was purchased around 2000 by Peter Davis and his partner Karen, both of whom had B&B experience. Peter undertook extensive renovations, the roofline now covering the shingle roof below it. He found the walls were cut from bush timbers, and there is a section of wall showing the original hand-adzed timber from the 1890s. Some of the old boards came up with newspapers from the early 1900s–these lined the walls to keep out the cold damp winter weather.
Peta and Laurie Rolls purchased the property in 2005 and have loved it ever since. They engaged the former owner, Peter Davis, to undertake a full renovation in 2011. Together with the beautiful Twilight Cottage, which Peter had built around 2003, the cottages have continued to provide historic interest and enfolding comfort to guests who come back time after time.